Tuesday 5 May 2020

Still Trying to Find My Way Around Dementia

My mother and I have had a difficult 5 weeks.  I have been frustrated beyond belief and very stressed.  I haven't been as nice as I could have to her.  I've been angry with her.  When I'm not angry, she asks me why I am being nice.  That's a telling comment and one I am not proud of.  My oldest daughter tells me I should go with the flow but sometimes that is so difficult.  However I am beginning to learn how to do that in my own way. 

Today, GB waned to iron.  First I let her hunt for the iron and when she couldn't find it, I did.  I didn't offer to help initially because she wants to prove that she can do things herself.  I held my breath and hoped she didn't find the wall socket.  She didn't but she did come to collect water to put in the iron.  I had better remember to pour that out.  Then I suggested she get the ironing board.  In the end she gave it all up and moved on to putting new shoe laces in her trainers.  I learned from this.  Let her try to do things but don't offer help, keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't injure herself, and let her feel some sense of accomplishment.  It amazed me that she wasn't frustrated by the difficulties she encountered.  She just moved on or went to sleep for a while.


No comments: