Saturday 7 March 2015

Post 6 Round 2 of #28daysofwriting

Only time will tell whether this will be another wild card post, or whether I will actually be able to write a blog post today.

Two days ago I was talking about the problem we were facing with students who were unable to understand the information they found on the internet for their research projects.  I suggested that at some point in the future I would make some suggestions of how to start to deal with this problem.  So here goes!

Overall Changes Needed:

1. We need to work with the primary teachers so that students have developed good research habits when they move into secondary.

2, We need to establish what good research habits are!

3. We need to ensure that teachers know how to research so that they are better able to develop those skills in their students.

3. We need to develop an information literacy continuum from kindergarden up.  Though we have one already, I am beginning to wonder if it is fit for purpose.  It may be that it is and it's just a matter of teachers not incorporating it.  However I do think that we need to revisit it.

4.  We need to ensure that skills acquired in primary are developed and nurtured.


Well, there's a start and it may all be rubbish but at least I've started!

No comments: